1.02.2013

WTKW Mom's Super Laundry Sauce Review

This one certainly wrecked my kitchen. It's not food, but it's called sauce, so it's applicable for the latest installment of Wreck The Kitchen Wednesday!

Yeah it's been a while. I'm pregnant so I took a little break. Any who...

I love trying new things from Pinterest. I've probably given about 50% of the things I've pinned a whirl. This time I found it note worthy.

I've made our own laundry soap for about 5 years now. My daughter has very sensitive dry skin, and when she was born instead of buying one version for her (scent free/dye free) and another for us (Tide/Gain etc.) I decided to look into making it myself.


The first recipe I tried was a powder formula. 1 part grated soap, 1 part borax, 1 part washing soda. It wasn't too bad, but I was always paranoid about it dissolving in the washing machine, and/or leaving a soap stain residue on my clothes. After it happened a few times and favorite articles of clothing were ruined, it was time to move on.
Next was using this lady's formula. It shows how to basically take the same recipe as mentioned above, and make it into a gel formula. Something more familiar to me. When I did purchase detergent I had always used liquid types that you buy at the grocery store. It worked better than the powder, and you use a half cup at a time. But I had a few issues with it. #1 it takes 24 hours to set up...
#2 I would make the recipe the exact same every time, and yet it seemed from batch to batch the results would be different. Sometimes it would harden too much into a gel where it was really solid. Sometimes the soap mixture would form this odd soapy ball and the water would be separated from it. So I'd have to spoon mix it for a few minutes every time I wanted to use it. 
#3 You make the mixture 2 gallons at a time in one bucket, so I had this huge ugly black  bucket of laundry soap sitting on my dryer at all times. Not quite the laundry room you want people to walk through. 
#4 Occasionally it would still leave soap stains. I found myself buying a really small bottle of the green formulas from the store for my nice clothes, and then using the gel formula for other things like towels and what not. Thus defeating the purpose to begin with to make it myself and save money. 

A few weeks ago a friend pinned this recipe:  Mom's Super Laundry Sauce

I was willing to try it. It wasn't a gel, it's like whipped butter. Plus it stores for up to a year. You can make it in batches as small as 4 quarts, and you just store it in 2 mason jars. It's easy to double, and you only use 1 tablespoon at a time. I decided to give it a go. I had all the ingredients on hand. And it sets up in 4 hours, not 24. Here's my review: 

Her tutorial is really good. I felt like I knew what to do each step of the way. I love when there are pictures for each step. When I made it I doubled it. Cause why not really? The 4 jars could easily be stored in the cabinets in the laundry room. You can use it in any type of washing machine. Although I just have the old school top load kind. When I turned them upside down to separate, the soap part and the water started doing their thing almost immediately. I don't own a blender so I borrowed a friends. Her style of blender doesn't have the capability of unscrewing the bottom to attach to the jar. Like shown:

Plus my soap got rally hard in the jar. Not sure what all that was about. So I had to really scrape the inside of the mason jar to get it to come out. Once in the blender it only takes about a minute to whip up. And the best way I can describe the texture is like a soft stick of butter. It was a super big mess trying to get it from the blender back into the jar, but that's fine. I've done 6 loads of laundry since making it, and not one single sign of soap residue. It even took out red candy residue that mysteriously showed up on my daughters sheets. hmmm.

It's $1.78 per batch, and makes 128 loads of laundry. I think this one is finally a keeper. I might have to go out a buy a $20 blender just so I can make this. It's worth the cost to me. Especially if you consider the savings compared to buying detergent in the store. Love this and loved how quickly-comparatively- it was ready. Glad I tried it.But seriously what's up with the name? It'd odd.

Photobucket

22 comments:

realmaplesyrup said...

Im glad you tried it. The name on pinterest creeped me out. :P Does it smell good too after you wash?

tidbits said...

Yeah that's the nice thing about Fels Naptha, you can actually tell you've washed it but the scent is light so it won't overpower the senses. This one is good too because you don't have to add essential oil to it to smell the cleanliness.

Abby Bowman said...

i've been thinking about trying this one. might have to now. :)

Amanda Porterfield said...

I made this yesterday and I've done four loads so far. I love it! I even wash my baby's clothes in it. I do use white vinegar as my fabric softener, so I know I'll avoid any residue this may or may not cause (I heard that if you use this without using vinegar every so often, it may get dingy). Glad you like it, and I encourage anyone else to make this too! I've only heard good things so far :)

tidbits said...

I made a little jar up for my parents to try since they have a HE washing machine. My dad loves it and he's a critical judge. He mentioned, though this may be obvious, to not put the sauce in the detergent slot, to just add it straight into the machine. Thought I'd pass that along.

Calidore said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melly Ann said...

:-) I'm so excited about this! I've been meaning to try this for a while now, I also saw it on Pinterest. Excited to see it has a good review.

Anonymous said...

I found this recipe today and am excited to give it a try. I was just wondering if after using it for a while did it dull your whites?

tidbits said...

I have not found any of my whites becoming dull after use. It's so great. I've been using it now for 10 months, so I'm pretty confident in saying so.

Anonymous said...

I've been using the laundry sauce and love it. I use Zote instead of Fels Naptha. 1/2 of a 14.5 oz bar. I also use my immersion (stick) blender right in the jar. I use a knife first to cut the thick layer into chunks. Do it carefully to avoid splashing.

Jaime C said...

Does anyone have direction to make this? For some reason every link I click on says page not found. Really want to try this! Thank you

Jaime C said...

Does anyone have direction to make this? For some reason every link I click on says page not found. Really want to try this! Thank you

Anonymous said...

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/gardening-landscaping-208/.
Try this one Jaime.

Anonymous said...

http://www.budget101.com/myo-household-items/whipped-cream-super-laundry-soap-3993.html
This link to recipe works!!

tidbits said...

I just tried the link again, and everything seems to be working on my end. I cam type out the actual link so you can copy and past into your browser if you need it. Just want to give credit where credit is due.

tidbits said...

Also just as an FYI I doubled my batch making 4 jars total. With a family of 4 it took me 6 months to use 2 jars. So doubling it would be perfect for a years supply. Now we have a 5 person family, and it seems to go faster. Hope that helps!

~Miss Sandra~ said...

Hi there. I live in New Zealand so I wanted to share how we internationals can make this recipe. I used a cake or Sard Wondersoap. Next time I will try a cake of Sunlight soap. I dont think we have the type of blenders in NZ that you can use the mason jars with. So I bought a couple wider neck glass jars. I followed the instructions, tried turning the jars u side down to cool, but a whole lot of very hot liquid spilled out and nearly burned me. In the end I just put the mix into the jars. I didnt bother with turning them upside down. They cooled for 4 hours. Then I got a knife and carefully broke up the chunky part. I then used my metal stick blender and whipped it all. Beautiful creamy sauce. I love it. My washing smells so clean. No residue. Only 1 TB. How cool is that? If you havent tried this recipe, then please do. You wont regret it. A huge saving on our budget. Thanks for letting me share. Hugs Sandra nz

tidbits said...

Thanks Miss Sandra! And New Zealand! That's so exciting. I tried reading your comment with an accent because it was more fun that way. Thanks for visiting and thanks for the tips!

Wendy said...

Try Method #2 on this page: http://www.budget101.com/myo-household-items/5-minute-no-cook-laundry-detergent-recipe-4075.html

It's super easy with very little mess. I chopped up the Fels Naptha with a chef's knife, put it in a quart Ziploc freezer bag and then added 2 cups hot tap water and it was well-melted and ready to mix within a few hours - no need to wait longer than that. I kneaded any remaining little lumps out with my fingers.

If you use wide-mouth canning jars, you can use a stick blender and blend the 'sauce' right in the jars. That said, you end up with a bit thicker consistency because you cannot add as much water to account for the stick blender's displacement in the jar. I think next time around I'll use my glass batter bowl and blend it all in there with the stick blender, then transfer the 'sauce' to the jars.

Love this soap, as well, and after reading so many laundry soap recipes and methods after I made this one, I was glad for its simplicity and the ease of storage that this recipe allows.

With this method there are no buckets, no dust, no slime . . . just a quart Ziploc freezer bag, an 8 cup batter bowl, a stick blender, 2 jars and 2 lids and a tablespoon. Life is complicated enough with seven children . . . simple and compact is a good thing =o)!

Bev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Regan said...

I've been making this for over a year now. I started with the Fels Naptha, but now I use Dr. Bronners as the Fels Naptha seemed to irritate my skin. I enjoy that I have more variety in scents too. I usually use the lavender or almond. It tends to have a different texture... More like a whipped cream.

Anonymous said...

I just made this and I may have cheated, I made it very easy on myself! I grated my soap with the food processor and added the water straight into the bowl. When that had dissolved I gave it a few pulses to make sure it was all dissolved. I then added my dissolved borax and washing soda and whipped it all together. It was a tiny bit too much for the size of my processor though and I had a little water leakage, but not too bad. I then scooped it into 4 pint size mason jars to be able to give a couple away for Christmas gifts. It filled 4 perfectly!