9.28.2011

Five-Spice Coconut Chicken

Did you ever see that commercial that shows the woman standing in the kitchen with chicken in a bowl? The voice over says, "there are a 1000 ways to prepare chicken. You know 2 of them." Mr. B was laughing so hard when he saw this with me. He turned to me and said, That's so you!" Thank you. Yes. I'm aware. So here's to #3.source
New ingredient: Chinese Five Spice.


What you will need:
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2-1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 boneless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total), pounded flat
1/2 pound sugar snap peas
Cooked white rice, for serving


1. In a small bowl whisk together 1 tablespoon coconut milk, 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1 teaspoon honey. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl Combine 1/3 cup coconut milk, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 tablespoon lime juice, with the soy sauce, five-spice powder, garlic and salt.

3. After pounding the chicken flat, marinate for 15 minutes.

4. The recipe suggests using a grill, which I bet would be fabulous. It was raining, so I used the electric skillet. It worked just fine.

Grill on each side for 4 minutes.

5. Toss the remaining coconut milk dressing over steamed sugar snap peas.

Serve with rice.

Yum. Yum Yum!! You've got to try this. What I loved most was that it literally was start to finish 30 minutes of cooking. So many times I look up recipes an hour before dinner. Only to read the instructions and find "marinate for at least xx hours." who has that kind of time? I don't. That's why I loved this too. So good. Next time I'll add egg rolls as a side too. Because who doesn't love egg rolls?


Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Shalise said...

This looks delicious! So funny that everything is +1 tsp or +1 Tbsp. I guess I better measure exactly-that is usually rough for me!

realmaplesyrup said...

this looks really good. Im going to have to try it. I bet lime rice would go well with it too