4.13.2011

WTKW- Bread in the Oven


Remember my cry for help with my bread machine? Well a friend posted this recipe for me, and I decided to give it a shot. I didn't even own a bread pan-don't judge. Okay I would too, so it's okay.  Here's what you'll need:

1 cup water at 110 degrees (not pictured)
4 1/2 teaspoons of yeast
1 tablespoon and 1/3 of brown sugar
4 cups wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup milk at room temp.
2 teaspoons of salt

mix the water, yeast, and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in a bowl, and let it sit for 10 min. I think this may be where I was messing up. I'm pretty sure my water was not the right temp. before. This time I meansured to be sure it was 110 degrees. (The recipe also calls for room temp. milk-which I also didn't do before now...)
After 10 minutes it should be nice and foamy.

I was afraid before now that my yeast wasn't working. I was clearly wrong.
Now throw in all of the rest of the ingredients.

Blend on low until mixed, and then crank it up to a medium speed for 5 min.




When it sticks to the hook completely, cover losely with a towel and let it rise for an hour.

punch it down again for a few seconds

Roll it out on a lightly floured counter to get out all the bubbles. Roll it up seem side down and place it in the bread pan.


bake for 15 at 400 then for 30 at 350


Grade: A+ It was amazing. The directions call for dividing the loaf in half, which I did, the first time I made this. The second time I decided not to, and got this beast of a loaf. I'm part Italian, so when it comes to food, the bigger the better! I'll definetely be making this again. Thanks Christina for the link!
Photobucket

2 comments:

realmaplesyrup said...

from start to finish how long would you say it took you? I don't know why bread making always seems more complicated than it really is. Did you notice any difference using the rice milk? I am assuming not since not mentioned above...

tidbits said...

It takes about 3 hours. It's easy as long as you set a timer for each of the intervals, that way you won't feel like you're babysitting it. I didn't notice any difference with the rice milk. To be sure I even used cows milk the second time, and the taste was pretty much the same.