3.16.2011

WTKW- Irish Soda Bread



In honor of St. Patty's day I thought I would make something traditional from Ireland. I decided on Irish Soda Bread. It will take you hours to gather everything you'll need to make this bread. Just kidding there are 4 ingredients!
 
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Whisk the dry ingredients together

Make a well and add one cup of buttermilk in the center. Fork the dry ingredients into the buttermilk forming dough. Gradually add the remaining half cup until you get a nice ball of dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about a minute.

Put a piece of parchment on a baking sheet, and flatten the dough into a large circle and make a huge "X" down the center.


Bake for 40 min at 375.
While it was baking I was cleaning up the wreckage, and notice the date on the buttermilk: St. Patrick's Day. How appropriate!


We will also be munching on some of this tomorrow. We love cheese in our house. Since little madame is intolerant, we sneak cheese at night instead of sweets. Is that sad or what?


After 40 min. Pull it out, and enjoy! (It's done when you wrap on the bottom and it sounds hollow)

 
This bread was pretty good. I was a little nervous it would taste like fist-fulls of flour, but it does have a pretty good flavor. I give it an A-. It was a little salty but otherwise perfect. It took all of about 7 min. to make, and it would be amazing with a hearty soup. Plus, who can beat 4 ingredients?! Also there is 1 gram of fiber and 5 (!) grams of protein per slice.





Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Katzbox said...

This looks so good. The last time I had soda bread, I was at this little place in Manhattan called "Serendipity". Eli and I went there and met my sister and nephew. So good.....yummers....

thanks for the recipe. You're the best.