3.02.2011

WTKW Chocolate Butterflies


This idea was adopted from the book "Hello, Cupcake" for full instructions I recommend reading it. My library even has a copy, so check yours if you have an interest.
At church we've started a little cooking group called 'Meet and Eat' Once a month someone signs up to be the hostess and picks the theme for the evening. This month was chocolate. Yum! I am no a baker by any stretch of the imagination, so when I heard that the theme was chocolate I wanted to make these butterflies. I didn't want to take the time and energy to make the cupcakes, so I just bought a package of cookies. shhh don't tell. To make the butterflies here's what you'll need:

Cookies
a package of dark chocolate wafers
a package of white chocolate wafers
a tub of icing (or make your own-no thanks!)
piping bag or a zip lock bag
wax paper
and toothpicks

What to do:
The best way to achieve this look is to do these one cookie at a time, and one set of wings at a time.
1. take your bag and fill with about a half a cup of wafers. Melt them in the microwave in 20 second intervals. Mine took 5 intervals. Do not cook them for the full minute all at once or you'll burn the chocolate. *Repeat this step for the white chocolate
2. Ice a cookie (trust me you do not want to ice all the cookies and then start on the wings. By the time you're ready to top them, the icing will have started drying and won't be sticky enough)
3. Fill a piping bag with icing and make two dots about the size of a dime on the cookie. This is to help the wings stay propped up.


This should be done on the actual cookie. I forgot to take pics while I was making them. The cookies were all eaten, so I improvised...

4. With the piping bag or Ziploc bag cut the tip of the bag off to make a very tiny opening.
5. Lay out your wax paper and draw a "B" with the dark chocolate, quickly fill in with white chocolate.

6. As soon as the entire B is filled take a toothpick and gently glide it across the top of the B toward the center. Do not press hard, or you'll just make a hole in the chocolate, the idea is to drag it.

 Make 2 B's for each butterfly
7. When the wings are hardened (about 10 min.) gently peel them from the wax paper and lay each wing on top of each dot of icing.



8. Take your icing bag and draw a "body" and "Head" for the butterfly and you're done.

This seems like a lot of steps but goes super fast! I started mine at 6:15 and was out the door by 6:45 wrapped and ready to eat lots of yummy chocolate.
My good friend Abbey over at The Naptime Report first showed me how to make these. They are the blue butterflies in my header. This is the way the book describes how to make them. Thanks for stopping!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Tonya said...

I can't believe it's WTKW aleady again! Anyway, these look so delicious AND pretty! Thanks for sharing! Wish we had that group in our ward...

Tonya said...

And I'm no cook or baker...so I'm not going to start it! ;)

Abby said...

i love these. I need to make them sometime.