3.01.2011

Cleaning with Vinegar


Here in Ohio there are always a few "teaser" days before spring really comes in full swing. Sunday was one of those days-hitting 60 degrees! That always gets me itching to start some down and dirty spring cleaning. I am a fan of cleaning with products that are safe for the kids, and good for the environment. A friend continually tells me she uses vinegar for almost all of her cleaning, so I decided to do a little searching. I happened upon THIS site, and WOW! Good thing I've got a gallon of white distilled vinegar in the cupboard! She gives many tips like :
1. To remove stickers that have been used to "decorate" furniture and other surfaces, moisten with vinegar. Let sit for at least ten minutes, then remove.
8. To clean wood paneling, use a mixture of 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 2 cups warm water. Apply to paneling with a soft cloth. Dry with a clean cloth.
12. Spray shower walls and shower curtain with vinegar to help prevent mildew.
20. To clean your microwave oven, put a microwave-safe bowl of 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 cup water in the oven, and cook long enough to boil. In addition to removing any lingering odors, this will loosen any baked-on food from the microwave's walls.
24. Many persistent stains can be removed with vinegar: coffee, chocolate, ketchup, jam, cola, wine. Gently rub stain with vinegar, then wash.


*tip #24 I'm especially curious to see if it works. I'll let you know how if it does. Now off to clean the base boards!

p.s.HERE are some tips from the people who make the stuff...
Photobucket


2 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! I am going to have to try some of these especially the dishwasher one!

Emmy said...

I love vinegar! It also gets out gum from carpets. That one I learned the hard way. But, the stuff is AMAZING.