2.23.2011

WTKW: Chicken with Capers and Artichokes


Chicken with Capers and Artichokes
Alright every one here is the dish this week.
What you'll need:

flour
garlic powder
paprika
1 lemon
chicken stock (in place of white wine and chicken broth)
1 can of artichoke hearts
1 tiny jar of capers
2 chicken breasts (I have 4 pictured but ended up putting 2 back)
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
salt and pepper

The recipe instructs you to tenderize the chicken (cut in half through the side) with a meat tenderizer. I don't own one, and if your kitchen is like mine where ever you hold your utensils is full enough. I just grabbed Mr. B's rubber mallet out of the garage, and covered it with saran wrap. Let me just tell you, it did the job. Then I dusted each piece of chicken.

(can I tell you how much I LOVE the smell of lemon zest- yum!) Combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder and lemon zest. Please do me a favor and don't wreck your kitchen anymore than it needs to be. You don't need measuring utensils for this. Just eyeball what a third of a cup of flour and a teaspoon look like. It will taste fine, I promise!

Cook the chicken thoroughly in a warm skillet with the EVOO, and then add the chicken stock and lemon juice. When it is thickens, add the capers and artichokes. I topped mine on rice.

I have never eaten capers before so I had no idea what taste I was headed toward... I give that disclaimer before giving my grade...

Grade: C- the lemon + the capers + the artichoke hearts was just too much, it was way too over powering. Why this dish didn't receive and F? The chicken was amazing and if you had all flavors on your fork at the same time, it was bearable. I have learned I am NOT a fan of capers. If you LOVE them and I mean LOOOOOVE them, I think this meal is for you. Mr. B gave it a B-. (I think he was just trying to be nice, cause eww) and the girl didn't touch anything but the rice. Go figure. So there you have it. We made the chicken again sans the capers, and artichoke hearts, and had much better success. Now go on, wreck your kitchen! (you have to say that last line like Paula Dean, because it's funnier that way :)
Photobucket

1 comment:

Abby said...

I LOOOOOOOVE capers! I was so excited when I saw that you made this! I'm going to have to try it anyway. I think it sounds delish. :)