2.16.2011

WTKW Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Salsa

Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Salsa
For the recipe go here.

What you'll need:

1 lb. shrimp
2 avocados
1 onion
diced tomato
fresh cilantro
lime juice
refried beans
cumin
paprika
garlic powder
salt and pepper
olive oil

I love this recipe because other than the shrimp and the avocados I had everything else on hand. It's really easy. First toss the shrimp in a pan with olive oil and add cumin, paprika, and garlic powder and about a tablespoon of lime juice (if you use cajun seasoning-it's basically the same thing). Cook the shrimp until golden brown.

While the shrimp is doing its thing, make the salsa. I love the fact that to cut an avocado it does not require a cutting board. Cut the whole thing in half, remove the ginormous (it's a word) pit, and slice while inside the skin, and invert. Love it.

Dice the onion really small, and dice tomatoes. I didn't have any fresh so I went with a can that I had. I bet fresh is even better- it almost always is. Throw the onion in a bowl with the tomato, cilatro, and lime.
If you're unfamiliar with tostados, it's basically a larger round tortilla chip. I didn't want to spend the money on special tostados, so I just used the chips I had on had, and made a kind of layered salad out of it.


Grade: A if you're not a huge fan of cilantro this one might not be for you. I love it, so this was a good one for me. The girl wasn't too keen on the shrimp being seasoned, so I removed a few for her after they were cooked, and before I added the seasonings. It's a good combo though, if you like latin food, but can't handle a lot of heat. Also this meal is light so if you're not looking for heavy comfort food, I'd give this one a try. Corn bread would be tasty to add on the side.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Yay! I found dinner for tonight! Thanks, Liz...it looks yummy!