2.09.2011

Wreck the Kitchen Wednesday-Bok Choy Challenge


I was challenged by Amanda to make a dish including bok choy. It's definitely new to me, so I was excited to give it a try. After doing a bit of recipe searching I've found a few ingredients to be common when cooking with bok choy: garlic and ginger. It almost seems as though if you can include these two things, you've got a great start. I had an additional challenge: to find a recipe that didn't include sesame. I love it, but little madame is allergic (shocker, I know). So I found this one. Click here for her Recipe.

The ingredients are simple...

2 chicken breasts
1 package shiitake mushrooms
1 TBSP Ginger
2 TBSP honey
2 gloves of garlic
1 head bok choy (also referred to as Chinese cabbage)
optional: 1 cup white wine/chicken broth
1.5 cups rice
salt and pepper

Grade: B, after I added Soy Sauce A- It was super easy! While the rice was cooking I browned the chicken, and then threw everything else in. 2 steps? That works for me.
Substitutions: I had to add soy sauce, because it was just kind of bland. I was afraid to use a full tablespoon of ginger because that is a really strong spice. (I found that out with my disaster of homemade cranberry sauce last Thanksgiving) I should have used the whole tablespoon. I also would add more garlic next time. She also suggests adding white wine to make a sauce. Mr. B and I don't drink alcohol, so I used chicken broth instead.  To make this vegan style I suggests using other veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, peas, or whatever you have on hand. I bet sliced carrots would be good on this too. Then for the sauce just use vegetable stock. Not too shabby. Mr. B didn't need soy sauce he said it was good both ways. For the girl, she ate the mushrooms and chicken well, but the bok choy wasn't so cool. That's alright. I liked it, and it was a great source of folic acid, and calcium. My kind of meal!

Are you wrecking your kitchen? Leave a comment and tell me about it!
Photobucket

No comments: