2.07.2011

Eggcelent

W have to use egg replacers here in our house so I thought I'd give you the skinny on it all. Every time I look  up a vegan recipe the author suggests using Ener-G. So I finally bought a box (if you're looking for it, I found it in the gluten-free section).
Another option is to use flavorless gelatin. In my opinion, the flavorless gelatin works MUCH better than Ener-G. Even when you mix it together the Ener-G brand never really gels. The flavorless gelatin actually forms a gel, not unlike egg whites. I think it holds together much better. I made cupcakes using both methods, and the Ener-G cupcakes just crumbled. So I think I'll stay with the flavorless gelatin. Just look for it where the jell-o is sold in the store and it's usually on the top or bottom shelf.

To make one egg:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons hot water, plus 1 teaspoon hot water

Mix with a fork and let it sit for a minute or two, add to recipe.
*this does not work for scrambled eggs, or similar foods. Only use this substitute in baking.
Photobucket

No comments: