4.02.2009

Dryer

Tidbit: Dryer sheets can build up a wax on the lint trap filter. The best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months.

Findings: I'm a believer. I just ran water over the filter and the water collected on top. So I washed it (on both sides, but I bet it doesn't make a difference) and the water ran right through. Beautiful.

Essential Cleaning Kit (ECK):

Microfiber cloths: Their nylon fibers lift and trap dirt (and grab 99.9 % of bacteria). Their machine washable and can handle almost any chore with little water-no cleaning products needed. Buy multi-colored packs to “assign” colors to different tasks.
Scrub Brush: This is a good item when you want to clean aggressively. Use it on floors, fireplaces, or any rough surface. It can also annihilate soap scum rings. Look for one with heavy nylon bristles, their the least likely to scratch the surface, and a comfortable handle. A rubber handle keeps skin from coming in contact with the cleaning product.

3 comments:

hi, i'm nancy! said...

as always, i am the neurotic over-achiever: i clean my filter at least once a week.

i know, i know.

The Katzbox said...

I simply had no idea about the filter in the dryer...none....

Brown and Serve said...

I didn't either! I mean I knew about the tube going from the dryer to the outside, but not the lint filter. I just thought you had to take the lint off after each load, not actually clean it.